Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Best of the West - Part 1: Buffalo Crossing Ahead


(Above: My first encounter with a real, live, giant bison)

For a post-grad trip, my brave Dad took me on a whole new level of vacation, which naturally turns into a foodcation for any Wilkes. This past week we headed to Big Sky, Montana for outdoor adventures and a nice culture shock for a city gal. The mountains, wildlife, people and food were all fantastic. So fantastic, in fact, that I’ve decided to do a two part series to capture all the devouring that took place over the course of a few days.

You can’t go to Montana without eating meat (sorry vegetarians). Bison particularly is a staple for the west. I got the full immersion seeing herds of them crossing the road in front of me to eating it in a burger and tenderloin. At the Lone Peak Brewery, we ordered up a Triple B (bison, bacon and bleu cheese) and a Bourbon Burger (Swiss and bourbon-soaked caramelized onions) accompanied by a local draft. Maybe it tasted better because of the mountain view, but the denseness and smokiness of the meat was a perfect pair with the toppings. Later we went to the legendary Buck’s T-4 for a bison tenderloin – again, masterpiece. Way leaner than beef, the cut was served medium-rare along with garlic mashed potatoes, onion straws and beets.



I know this is stepping outside my bounds of burgers, but I had my eye on a funky joint called Yeti Dogs visible from our lodge window the whole trip. Apparently this place’s grub was said to rival the Chicago dog, so it was only appropriate that I judged it myself. I also just really like the name. After waiting until the last day and passing a giant wooden yeti on the way in, I was more than ready. I asked for their signature dog, piled with sweet relish, spicy mayo, mustard and sauerkraut (I held the red onions). Mayo on a dog? Weird, maybe, but I like weird stuff. It was a magical, hearty combo that would be perfect after a day of skiing in the mountain village, but even better since I was able to devour it on the first weekend of its summer opening. Comparison to the Chicago dog is still TBD… I might be a traitor if I said anything else.



Lone Peak Brewery

http://www.lonepeakbrewery.com

Big Sky, Montana


Buck’s T-4

http://www.buckst4.com

Big Sky, Montana


Yeti Dogs

www.yetidogs.com (coming soon)

Big Sky, Montana

1 comment: