Thursday, June 9, 2011

Ciao, Chevre


This weekend marks the end of an era for me. I’ll be graduating college with a BA, moving onto the real world, saying goodbye to friends, and embarking on a new chapter of my life.


Tonight, it was also unfortunate to say goodbye to one of the best things I’ve had in a while – my Fromage A Trois goat cheese from the Green City Market. Yep, I cleaned out every crumble out of the wrapper after carefully rationing it the past two weeks (which took much self control). “Just go buy more,” some may say, but the cheese stand at the market is a bit of a walk near Lake Michigan and seeing as I am currently job-seeking, I must be extra careful with my cash.


The stuff was worth every single cent, though. At $7.25 for a pie piece-sized wedge, I paid for cheese that was guaranteed raised and handled humanely and made of fresh ingredients. There were several goat cheese flavors to choose from, but I picked the mixed herb. Goat milk culture, rennet, salt, basil, parsley, olive oil and dried tomatoes were the only ingredients listed – nothing foreign, nothing I couldn’t pronounce, nothing fake.


Goat cheese is great because it’s versatile. I topped shrimp salads, baked pasta, peach and tomato salads, crackers, sandwiches and pizza with it. Tonight I polished it off atop grilled eggplant and I was not left disappointed. I may have even eaten it straight by the spoonfuls . . . but who’s to say there’s anything wrong with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment